Monday, February 20, 2017

Come together ...right now... The Beatles were right

I have been doing an experiment for the last couple of weeks.  I am very liberal and very political. I have been private massaging people that I don't know on Facebook who have very different political opinions than I and asking then to come together. This is what I posted on my page, 

www.Facebook.com/ichoosetosee

with the hopes of getting others to try.

"To those of you who follow this page, I am trying to start a grassroots movement to help our country heal. Would you copy and paste this on a person's PM who thinks differently than you. See if we can start some real person to person dialog. ...

Hello, my name is Teena. I find you a well read conservative and I am trying to find some people on the "other side" , i am very liberal,  to help our country find common ground. I feel strongly that the inability of our citizens to value eachother's opinions WILL be our country's downfall because let's face it, presidents come and go ...citizens are always here. 
Anyway, would you be willing to take a look at my page and share some ideas you find sensible, even if you don't agree with them , if I would do the same for you. 
My page is I Choose to See on Facebook.  Just type it in the search.
If this isn't for you thanks for listening and thank you for being involved politically in our country."

I for one have struck out. Of ten people I PMd not one has agreed to my proposal and I have gotten some nasty comments about my beliefs that I would call less than tolerant and definitely not polite.

When did our country get to the point that two people can't have a civil conversation about civics and politics. Where did the "I respect your opinion and choose to disagree" attitude go?

Debate, when I was growing up was called "healthy" and people were admired for being good debaters. I took argumentation and debate as a class at SUNY Albany and it was not part of the Poli/sci curriculum, it was something educators felt necessary for life. It was good to great everyone's opinion and all the facts before you came to your own conclusion.  

People came together, minds were opened and changed sometimes and there was respect not rancor and hatred.

Please take part in my experiment in your life. Find someone who is not like you and find middle ground.  I fear if we cannot,  it will be the beginning of the end of our civilized democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment