Saturday, January 24, 2015

Government Cheese



Back in the day...people who didn't have a lot of money would get to go down to some local
community center or church in their town and get government cheese. My husband and I used to get
it from a friend who worked at a blind camp. 

He used to bring hams and turkeys and government cheese to us because "we wuz po". I guess the blind people couldn't see the expiration date...ha ha

...no I did NOT just go there. AHHHHHH.

A friend of mine looked at me with fond memories wafting through his head the other day, "Ahhh, I
remember when my mom used to tell me we were going down to get it! We would all go wait
for hours in line in this vacant lot next to a church. Man, that stuff was so great!"

Even great rappers like JayZ have eaten government cheese...

“After that government cheese, we eating steak/After the projects, we on estates.” 

Government cheese distribution started in the Reagan administration. The production of said cheese began in the early 1900s. That will tell you how indestructible this stuff was.

It's basically what we now call American Cheese, or processed cheese product and was invented by Kraft in 1916.  

In the 1980s the government used to pay farmers not to make it because we had stockpiled so much of it in the ole US of A could have eaten processed cheese forever. Then in the 1981 President Reagan said, hey guys lets give this shit to the poor!! They eat anything!

Guess what year I got married...yup 1981. And had Amber in 1982 so we qualified! 

Macaroni and government cheese was the best we ever had. And Peter was so happy not to have to eat tuna noodle casserole again that he almost voted for Reagan in his second term...I said almost! 

Even free cheese can't make one forget about trickle down economics! 

No comments:

Post a Comment